DTM International Consultant – Designing and adapting Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) to the Ulaanbaatar city context
I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
In July 2017 IOM Mongolia launched a pilot phase of the eighteen-month project “Understanding and Managing Internal Migration in Mongolia”. This pilot phase aimed to strengthen internal migration management through enhanced data collection and capacity building of government agencies and key stakeholders. Two reports were produced under this project: the “Mongolia: Internal Migration Study” and “The Urban Migrant Vulnerability Assessment,” as well as a policy brief on internal migration. These studies and the policy brief provided a baseline and recommendations for further initiatives to improve management of internal migration in Mongolia.
In this follow up phase of “Understanding and Managing Internal Migration in Mongolia,” IOM will work with relevant government ministries, Committees and Sub-Councils to mainstream migration into national, local and sectoral policies and development plans to improve management of rural to urban migratory flows through supporting national and local authorities in planning and carrying out interventions to reduce internal migrant vulnerability
II. SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) based in Beijing, China, direct supervision of Programme Manager and in cooperation with relevant units at the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific in Bangkok and at Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will support the adaptation of DTM into the Ulaanbaatar city context. This will include conceptualization of operational implementation strategy; development of tools for data collection, data management, reporting; supporting of the piloting of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM); and the development of training materials, and DTM activities planning in the country. In particular, he/she will
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Assess existing Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) mechanisms, including mobility tracking, in collaboration with the Regional Office and DTM Unit at IOM Geneva Headquarters (HQs), develop new or improvements in methodologies and assessments tools to adapt DTM into the Ulaanbaatar city context, including but not limited to conceptualization of operational implementation strategy, development of tools for data collection, data management, reporting, as well as training materials, and activities planning;
- Set up the implementation of Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) activities in Ulaanbaatar city, including coordination, reporting and administrative related activities;
- Ensure protection mainstreaming and the inclusion of gender indicators in DTM;
- Support inception meeting with the project partners to introduce DTM tools and tracking system with objective to validate next steps;
- In collaboration with National DTM Consultant, prepare training materials for training for IOM staff, NSO and UB EMA, and for training for DTM focal points (FPs);
- Conduct Training for IOM staff, NSO and UB EMA in the use of the DTM tools. The training will cover assessment design and how to conduct the assessments;
- Support selection of DTM focal points (FPs) and provide training on data collection, data entry and data cleaning/verification;
- Support the first round of DTM assessments in Ulaanbaatar city in coordination with NSO and UB EMA (TBC);
- Prepare relevant presentations on DTM for Ulaanbaatar context;
- Submit a detailed consultancy report that is analytical in approach and specify challenges faced in implementing the programme and recommend a solution to the challenges;
- Participate in relevant meetings and events related to DTM activities;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Realistic Delivery Dates and Details as to how the work must be delivered
The detailed work plan and delivery dates will be confirmed directly with the successful candidate:
- First draft of DTM methodology, including tools for data collection, data management, reporting, as well as training materials, and activities planning in the Ulaanbaatar city context - within 2 month of start date;
- Finalization of a DTM methodology and relevant documents – within 4 months of start date.
- Rolling out of trainings for relevant government officials, FPs and IOM – within 4 months of start date
- Rolling out of the first round of DTM assessments in Ulaanbaatar city – within 5 months of start date
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical competencies:
- Strong and demonstrable interest in migration, disaster management and/or humanitarian issues;
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Excellent communication skills; capable to share ideas and explain results to all levels of the Organization and stakeholders;
- Experience in data collection and data management. Proven ability to gather and extract information from multiple sources;
- Proficiency in one or more statistical analysis software such as: Stata, SAS, SPSS, R;
- Proficiency in using two or more of the following tools: Access, Visual Basic, Java, ASP, SQL, Oracle or Python;
- Of value is experience in the development, refinement and implementation of population database systems (such as registrations, census or surveys);
- Expertise in machine learning, data mining, predictive analytics, artificial intelligence and/or risk modelling. Hands-on mathematical programming and modelling;
- Strong skills on Excel are required. Knowledge of BI Visualization tools (Power BI, SAS Visual Analytics, Tableau, etc.);
- Familiarity with GIS and web mapping an asset. Experience in distributed platforms (Hadoop, Spark, etc.) and/or Natural Language Processing an advantage.
V. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Statistics or Quantitative field (Math, Computer Science, Physics/Chemistry, Econometrics, Bioinformatics, etc.), or, alternatively, an equivalent combination of related education with relevant 3-4 years of professional experience. Excellent knowledge of statistics, survey and assessment methodologies and database management. Excellent writing and communication skills, efficiency and flexibility. Ability to work under pressure. Attention to detail and quality and capacity to meet deadlines. Strong analytical skills and creative thinking. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
HOW TO APPLYInterested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (PDF format, single file) to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating DTM International Consultant (Mongolia) in the subject line, no later than Sunday, 15th December.NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered