DTM Database Development Intern - Paid Internship
Preparedness and Response Division (PRD)
Senior DTM Coordination Manager
Global DTM Coordinator
Number of positions:
Sunday, April 14, 2019
As soon as possible
3 months with possibility of extension
I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has been IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and evolving needs of displaced populations since 2004. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last four years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. As of the end of 2015, DTM was active in 22 countries, tracking and monitoring over 14 million IDPs.
The DTM Support Team, based in headquarters, assembles expertise in operations and coordination, methodology and concept development, mapping and Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, database and application system development, and data and information management. The support team has been critical in providing remote and onsite support to DTM field implementation. The team provides a full range of support from the initial development and setup to continuous support on operations, staff deployment, data management, mapping, database systems, and development of information products. At the global level, the team is also striving to enhance the DTM by working on a multitude of initiatives exploring further integration of innovative technologies, improving capacity building components, and designing more streamlined processes.
Under the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator and direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the activities and services provided by DTM support team in headquarters for DTM implementation in the field worldwide, in particular to support further development and implementation of DTM global Central Data Warehouse (CDW) and other database and database management solutions.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
1. Support developing, testing and deployment of databases, software and other technology solutions (including. mobile applications) and compilation of business requirements, technical specifications, user and technical documentation and standards for DTM related applications.
2. Support to ensure timely and efficient collection and analysis of DTM data through the provision of appropriate database tools and products.
3. Support the further development, implementation and maintenance of global DTM central data warehouse and ensure effective and efficient dataflow from CDW to other system solutions, including GIS platforms and web application systems.
4. Support in providing technical input and works from the database standpoint to the use of geographic data and administrative divisions in DTM database application systems
5. Support and provide technical data and database management related recommendations into other DTM ongoing information management initiatives and partnerships.
6. Technical support in the data collection processes, query, analysis and the overall data management activities to ensure the common data standards and structures are applied and data are managed properly throughout the data management cycle.
7. Support development, deployment, maintenance, and management of various IOM database solutions and application systems as required.
8. Support in documentation of relevant database systems and solutions being developed. This includes design documents, standard operating procedures, dataflows, and relevant training materials.
9. Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and application adhere to IOM Data Protection Policy and Information Technology and Communication (ITC) Policies and Standards, including on system and data security.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies:
Personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; displays awareness of relevant technological solutions. Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services.
• Skills and experience in user interface development (GUI) including graphic design skills.
• Skills and experience in mobile application development (Android studio, Xamarin, or other solutions).
• Knowledge of ArcGIS and Arc Map is an advantage;
• MCP certification in software development is an advantage.
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
a) University degree in information systems, computer science or a related field with concentration in database and application development;
b) Experience in Database Information Systems development (SQL or Oracle).
Required: Fluent in English
Advantegeous: Knowledge of additional UN language
VI. ELIGIBILITY CRIETRIA
Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
a) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
b) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
c) Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to firstname.lastname@example.org adding DTM Database Development Intern in the subject line, no later than Sunday 14th April.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications or submitted in more than one file (CV+cover letter in PDF format) will not be considered.