Data Science and Quality Control Consultant
I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, and the overall supervision of Global DTM Coordinator and the Head of the Preparedness and Response Division (PRD), the successful candidate will be responsible to provide data science support to the global DTM support team operations. The successful candidate will support the design, implementation, and refinement of DTM data quality control procedures and applications, develop multi-layered analyses relevant for DTM programming and implementation for humanitarian, recovery and development stakeholders and their respective information needs. In particular, he/she will:
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Support the design, development, roll-out, implementation, and refinement of data quality control procedures, as well as standards and mechanisms to monitor and evaluate data quality received from field operations in a centralized manner.
- Research and develop models, analysis, reports, and documentation related to DTM data use for humanitarian, development, and migration programming.
- Support in ensuring the quality and accuracy of data consolidate and stored in DTM’s Central Data Warehouse (CDW) using quality control techniques applied during relevant data management processes.
- Support in the development and implementation of DTM’s Data Dictionary (DD) at the global level and in the field as required to ensure its effective implementation.
- Support in ensuring the accuracy of data and information in DTM websites using analytics/statistical models and quality control tools; including data checks and tests as required.
- Analyze global consolidated data; develop and support the quality control and harmonization of data collection tools to facilitate global analysis; and contribute directly to the development of analytics-based value products for global, regional, or national level purposes.
- Provide remote or onsite support on data science and data analytics to DTM field operations as needed.
- Research, analyze and evaluate innovative solutions on complementary data analyses, the use of analytical models and techniques, improved processes, and new applications related to information systems, new technologies and data-driven practices to manage information in response to disasters and/or complex emergencies and make recommendations on their utilization for field implementations as well as for global support operations.
- Support the collaborations with DTM partners, including academia and universities, research institutes as well as development actors to continuously expand the use of DTM data and analysis for humanitarian, development, and migration programming globally.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA);
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
- Strong and demonstrable interest in migration, disaster management and/or humanitarian issues;
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Excellent communication skills; capable to share ideas and explain results to all levels of the Organization and stakeholders;
- Experience in data collection and data management. Proven ability to gather and extract information from multiple sources;
- Proficiency in one or more statistical analysis software such as: Stata, SAS, SPSS, R;
- Proficiency in using two or more of the following tools: Access, Visual Basic, Java, ASP, SQL, Oracle or Python;
- Of value is experience in the development, refinement and implementation of population database systems (such as registrations, census or surveys);
- Expertise in machine learning, data mining, predictive analytics, artificial intelligence and/or risk modelling. Hands-on mathematical programming and modelling;
- Strong skills on Excel are required. Knowledge of BI Visualization tools (Power BI, SAS Visual Analytics, Tableau, etc.);
- Familiarity with GIS and web mapping an asset. Experience in distributed platforms (Hadoop, Spark, etc.) and/or Natural Language Processing an advantage.
EMERGENCY AND CRISIS
- Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments;
- Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures;
- Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors;
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners;
- Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information.
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Statistics or Quantitative field (Math, Computer Science, Physics/Chemistry, Econometrics, Bioinformatics, etc.), or, alternatively, an equivalent combination of related education with relevant 3-4 years of professional experience. Excellent knowledge of statistics, survey and assessment methodologies and database management.
Excellent writing and communication skills, efficiency and flexibility. Ability to work under pressure. Attention to detail and quality and capacity to meet deadlines. Strong analytical skills and creative thinking. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
HOW TO APPLYInterested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with name_surname to email@example.com adding Data Science and Quality Control Consultant (Geneva) in the subject line, no later than Tuesday 31st December.NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered