DTM Big Data System Internship / Special Short Term Junior Contract (London)
I. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has been IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and evolving needs of displaced populations since 2004. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last four years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. As of the end of 2015, DTM was active in 22 countries, tracking and monitoring over 14 million IDPs.
The DTM Support Team assembles expertise in operations and coordination, methodology and concept development, mapping and Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, database and application system development, and data and information management. The support team has been critical in providing remote and onsite support to DTM field implementation. The team provides a full range of support from the initial development and setup to continuous support on operations, staff deployment, data management, mapping, database systems, and development of information products. At the global level, the team is also striving to enhance the DTM by working on a multitude of initiatives exploring further integration of innovative technologies, improving capacity building components, and designing more streamlined processes.
Under the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator and direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the activities and services provided by DTM support team in headquarters for DTM implementation in the field worldwide, in particular to support the development and implementation of global system components for DTM big data processing and analysis.
II. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
1. Research, evaluate and recommend database and application system solutions and suggest best use case scenarios for big data processing and analysis.
2. Research, evaluate and make recommendations on best practices regarding data management, data architecture and data design to ensure effective and efficient processes and quality of output in relation to big data processing and analysis.
3. Work closely with development teams in designing and validating solutions for the suitable applications and their integration into the overall DTM global systems and platforms.
4. Work closely with relevant technical teams to set up workplan, standards, and road maps in relation to big data information system integration and implementation.
5. Evaluate and recommend management/monitoring tools for the recommended system solutions and regularly perform database health monitoring and diagnostics.
7. In coordination with ICT unit, support in maintaining system performance and reliability as well as developing required effective and efficient backup and recovery procedures
8. Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and application adhere to IOM Data Protection Policy and Information Technology and Communication (ITC) Policies and Standards, including on system and data security.
9. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies:
Personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; displays awareness of relevant technological solutions. Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services.
- Hands-on experience with Hadoop architectures (incl. YARN, MapReduce, Pig, Hive, HBase. Oozie, Spark)
- Thorough understanding of the capabilities of Apache Hadoop distributions such as e.g. IBM, Hortonworks, Cloudera, or MapR and their integration options with traditional data warehousing and BI tools (such as e.g. Teradata, IBM DB2 / Netezza / DataStage / Cognos, Informatica, Ab Initio)
- Understanding of Advanced Analytics technologies & solutions (incl. SPSS, SAS, R, Tableau, PowerBI, Qlikview)
- Knowledge in in-depth knowledge of the technology for Big Data & Analytics- including the Hadoop Ecosystem, NoSQL approaches Advanced Analytics, Cognitive Computing and Cloud Data Management
- Experience on HDFS, and the management, compilation and In-Database ETL operations of data coming structured and unstructured data.
IV. Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) from an accredited academic institution with relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the data warehousing and BI space (incl. SQL / Data Modelling, Data Integration, Data Governance)
- Experience across systems integration, information management business analytics and architecture
- Experience in data warehouse environment and knowledge of existing and emerging data integration approaches
- Experience in data architecture - experience of designing and developing logical data models
Required: Fluent in English
Advantegeous: Knowledge of additional UN language
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to email@example.com adding DTM Big Data System Internship / Special Short Term Junior Contract (London) in the subject line, no later than Sunday 24th March.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications or submitted in more than one file (CV+cover letter in PDF format) will not be considered.