Biometrics - DTM Analytics, Knowledge and Output Quality Paid Intern-London (Geographic focus: Nigeria)
Thematic focus: Solutions development for multi-stakeholder biometric beneficiary management system Geographic focus: Nigeria
Nigeria DTM Coordinator (Maiduguri)
Global DTM Coordinator (London)
Shelter and Settlements Expert (Geneva)
Thematic supervision II:
Biometric Solutions Expert (Maiduguri)
Friday, November 9, 2018
As soon as possible
3 months with possibility of extension
I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Since 2004 the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) is IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and the evolving needs of displaced populations. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last five years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. During 2016, DTM has been active in over 40 countries. To coordinate and support operations implemented by approximately 2,200 staff, the global DTM support team is comprised of 40 specialists across eight locations (Geneva, London, Bangkok, Nairobi, Dakar, Cairo, Vienna and The Hague). Since its inception the global support team includes, on average, 50% female and 50% male staff as well as a diverse range of nationalities.
Global DTM support is organized within the following units: Global System Management (GSM); Project and Operations Support (POS); Operations and Methodological Framework (OMF); Data Systems and Centralization (DSC); Data Management, Verification and Procedures (MVP); Digital Content Management (DCM); Analytics, Knowledge and Output Quality (AKO); Data Models and Learning (DML); DTM and Data Partnerships (DDP); Geospatial Analytics (GSA); Data Initiated Operations (DIO); and Humanitarian and Development Solutions (HDS). DTM sits within IOM’s Department of Emergencies (DoE).
IOM Biometrics’ Registration and Verification System (BRaVE) is a systematic method of collecting and recording data to ensure that an individual or family may be identified for humanitarian services. It includes information about individuals or families, such as their names, dates of birth or gender. The information collected serves to direct the humanitarian community towards delivering services, supporting follow-up with an individual and/or facilitating a protection intervention. The role will of this internship is to better understand programmatic needs and explore how the BRaVe system can be scaled for IOM’s Department of Emergency (DoE) service delivery activities.
Located in the IOM London office, under direct supervision of the Nigeria DTM Coordinator (Maiduguri), the thematic supervision of the Shelter and Settlements Expert (DOE/PRD/Geneva) and the Biometric Solutions Expert (Maiduguri) and the overall/daily supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator (London), the successful candidate will integrate the AKO unit.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Thematic focus: Solutions development for multi-stakeholder biometric beneficiary management system
Under the thematic focus, the incumbent shall support the system review and upgrade process towards beneficiary management systems that support multi-stakeholder and multi-modal aid distributions information management; with the specific focus on:
- Support the system’s functional and technical requirements specifications analysis and documentations
- Support the project risk analysis and development of risk strategy
- Support the development of system implementation support plans for the missions
- Support the coordination with the stakeholders internally and externally and manage the communications
- Work closely with global DoE programme teams to understand their operational and data requirements and explain the BRaVe and it’s scalability as the Beneficiary Management System for DoE activities
- Explore how IOM BRaVE data can be fed into IOM programme teams targeting data
Common to AKO unit, with geographic focus: Nigeria (please note that this position is located in London, United Kingdom)
- Provide support in analysis and interpretation of DTM data as well as in DTM documents requiring remote assistance, as tasked by DTM Nigeria;
- Facilitate the organization of webinars in support of DTM Nigeria to ensure regular internal and external updates on human mobility trends, changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility in Nigeria;
- If necessary, to provide updates on human mobility trends, changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility in Nigeria;
- Assist DTM Nigeria in the production and quality control of documents;
- Coordinate with other units of the global DTM support team also in contact with DTM Nigeria in order to ensure continuity of functional workflows;
The candidate should be permanently up to date on the most recent human mobility trends, changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility in Nigeria
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Excellent research, technical writing, communication and analytical skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports; Accountability; Client Orientation; Continuous Learning; Communication; Creativity and Initiative; Planning and Organizing; Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; Technological Awareness.
Strong and demonstrable interest in migration and/or humanitarian issues; personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines.
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Advanced degree from an accredited academic institution in a field of study related to computer science, system analysis, management, social science or other relevant disciplines. Experience in system/product analysis and personnel data management preferably biometrics are required.
Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral)
Knowledge of another UN language
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to firstname.lastname@example.org adding Biometrics - DTM Analytics, Knowledge and Output Quality London (Geographic focus: Nigeria) in the subject line, no later than Friday, November 9th.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and incomplete applications or submitted in more than one file (CV+cover letter in PDF format) will not be considered